The Swarovski dG (Digital Guide) Monocular is the first long-range optical device to allow you to identify and document your sightings and share them with other people. The full potential of the dG is unlocked when you link it to your smartphone. You need the SWAROVSKI OPTIK dG app to connect your dG to mobile devices. It also allows you to connect to apps like Merlin Bird ID and dG Mammals, which help you to identify and share your sightings. This app is available for all current smartphones from the App Store and Google Play.
- 8x25 Optical Monocular
- 8x magnification maintains a wide field of view while bringing your game closer for enhanced observation
- Industry leading high quality optics
- Creates it's own WiFi Hot-Spot Connection for Smartphones
- Automatically identify Birds via Android and iOS Apps including Merlin Bird ID and dG Mammals
- Transfer photos and video taken with dG to all connected devices
- Live stream from the dG on up to five smartphones or tablets
- Integrated 13MP Digital Camera captures fine details
- 1280x720 maximum video resolution
- SWAROBRIGHT phase-correcting prism coating eliminates internal interference to improve contrast and resolution
- SWAROTOP anti-reflective multi-coating maximizes light transmission, improves contrast and clarity
- SWARODUR exterior lens coatings offer scratch resistance while allowing dirt, dust, oils, and sap to be easily cleaned off without leaving residue to ensure clear and smudge-free views
- Quickly scan the environment for birds or mammals of interest with a 357-foot field of view
- Reduce eyestrain and increase comfort with the long 17mm eye relief
- Comfortable slip-resistant center focus wheel
- Simply twist-up the rubber eyecup to use with eyewear
- IP67-rated dust and waterproof for your adventure
- Ready for the cold or heat with a 14 to 131° operating temperature range
- Highly portable and easy to handle with a 25mm objective allowing for a compact design under 6" long
- Save battery life with the 15 minutes auto-off function
- Internal Li-ion battery with a max operating time of 6 hours can be charged via USB
Learn more about the wildlife you spot. The dG helps you to identify birds and other animals on your own. With the simple push of a button, your sightings are transferred to your smartphone, your Merlin Bird ID app, or the dG Mammals app for automatic identification.
Seamlessly observe, photograph and track your wildlife encounters. With 8x magnification power, you won’t miss a thing. Store your images and videos in the SWAROVSKI OPTIK dG app to preserve your special moments.
Share the Joy
Share your discoveries with others. An integrated Wi-Fi hotspot allows several of your companions to follow your sightings by live stream. You can also share your adventures on social networks with friends and the worldwide community.
Merlin Bird ID App
The Merlin app’s main function is to identify more than 5,000 bird species worldwide. When you take a photo, it is transferred directly to the Merlin app.
dG Mammals App
The SWAROVSKI OPTIK dG Mammals app identifies nearly 100 of the most common mammals in Europe.
Pouring rain, dirt, or dust – it’s no problem for the dG.
Easy to Use
The functions can be controlled by the center button for quick access.
Wi-Fi Connects Explorers
Simply set up a Wi-Fi hotspot with a 5-meter (16-foot) range and live stream your sightings. The dG creates it's own Wi-Fi hotspot for easy sharing.
Effective objective lens diameter: 25mm
Exit pupil diameter: 3.1mm
Eye relief: 17mm
Field of view (ft/1000 yds; m/1000m): 357ft / 119m
Field of view: 6.8°
Field of view for eyeglass wearers: 6.8°
Field of view, apparent: 52°
Shortest focusing distance: 8.2ft / 2.5m
Dioptric compensation: ± 4 dpt
Diopter correction at ∞: 4 dpt
Light transmission: 89%
Twilight factor acc. to ISO 14132-1: 14.2
Length: 5.75in / 146mm
Width: 4.4in / 112mm
Height: 2.36in / 60mm
Weight: 19.4oz / 550g
Functional temperature: +14 °F to +131 °F (-10 °C / +50 °C)
Storage temperature: -22 °F to +158 °F (-30 °C / +70 °C)
Camera resolution (effective): 13MP (4192 x 3104 px)
Video resolution: HD 1280 x 720 px / VGA 640 x 480 px
Battery: Li-Ion 2600 mAh
Battery operating time during normal/maximum operation: 6/3.5 h
Add-on program: dG App, dG Mammals
Maximum observers via app: 5
Operating system for app: iOS 11+ / Android 5.0+
Min. coverage interface: 5
Includes: USB-C 2.0 charging cable, dG field bag, dG carrying strap, eyepiece cover, operating instructions, cleaning cloth, quick guide
SWAROVSKI OPTIK dG App
The free SWAROVSKI OPTIK dG app creates it's own Wi-Fi hotspot to connect your mobile devices to the dG. Seamlessly observe, photograph and track your wildlife encounters. Store your images and videos in the app or share your discoveries with others.
The essential functions at a glance:
• The mobile app allows you to explore the full potential of your dG.
• Initial connection of dG with app via QR code or serial number
• Connect to the internet and live stream what you see on your smartphone/tablet.
• Take pictures with the dG and send them to your smartphone/tablet via Wi-Fi.
• The app allows you to take videos and screenshots of your observations.
• Manage or share your observations (images, videos, snapshots) in the internal media gallery.
• Activate or deactivate a wide range of app functions in the settings menu.
• Activate expert mode in the menu to share your live stream with up to five other smartphones/tablets.
• Use expert mode to customize a wide range of camera settings.
The dG can store up to ten images provided there is an active Wi-Fi connection between the dG and the smartphone/tablet. If the connection to the dG app or another dG-compatible app is interrupted, for example because the app has been closed, up to ten images will be stored temporarily. As soon as the app is opened again, the images will be transferred to the app.
Merlin Bird ID App
What's that bird? Merlin Bird ID helps you solve the mystery in 5 questions, or with a photo of a bird.
First, Merlin asks you a few simple questions. Then, almost like magic, it reveals the list of birds that best match your description. Pick your bird, then delve into more photos, sounds, and ID tips about your bird!
If you have a photo, Merlin can help there as well. Take a photo, choose from your camera roll, or snap the viewfinder of your zoom camera, and Merlin's powerful AI will suggest an identification almost instantly.
The essential functions at a glance:
• Created for beginning and intermediate bird watchers, Merlin identifies the 2,000+ most common bird species of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America and Europe.
• Merlin can identify a photo using powerful computer vision algorithms. Select your photo, tell Merlin where and when you took it, and you'll see a short list of suggested identifications.
• Intelligent results. No more scanning through hundreds of possibilities! Merlin shows the birds near you that fit your description.
• Customized location and date tools generate best answers for your neighborhood and time of year.
• Bird packs available for United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and Central America, with more coming soon.
• Explore birds by location and date with a list of species seen in the area.
• Powered by eBird to deliver the most accurate results based on millions of sightings from bird watchers across North America.
• Enjoy more than 15,000 photos of birds, including males, females, and juveniles.
• Learn ID tips from Cornell Lab of Ornithology experts.
• Listen to beautiful bird sounds, including songs and calls for each species with the included Audio Essential Set from the Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
• It’s all free! The Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s goal is to help you and millions of others to learn about birds.
Merlin is fun and easy to use—whether you’re curious about a bird you’ve seen once, trying to identify every bird that comes to your feeder, or planning a birding trip to a new country. The answers are waiting for you with this free field guide app from the renowned Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
dG Mammals App
The SWAROVSKI OPTIK dG Mammals app identifies nearly 100 of the most common mammals in Europe. It works like the Merlin app and also does not offer live streaming.